Monday, September 15, 2008

funny story

My German friend at work is like, 54 or something and he's kind of frustrated with the United States for different reasons.

a) Philadelphia is underwhelmed with his laser animation projector even though it's the only one of it's kind in the city.
b) He has to work menial job at Trader J's and the Franklin Center even though he has a good degree from a German design school.

etc..

I asked him if he ever thought about moving to LA to work in the movie biz and he told me this (to be read with a German accent):

I went to hollywood when i was a very young man and i had my art work with me and everything, you know? and i asked a taxi driver, "who should i talk to to be in the movie business? I want to show my drawings." I did not know anything! I was a very young man! The taxi driver said ," Oh, you wont be able to talk to anybody, they're all so well protected." So i said, "Ok, ok, who would you talk to if you were me?" and he said ,"Well, I guess I'd talk to Kirk Douglas" I said ,"Ok, do you know where to find him?" he said, "Yeah, i'll take you to his house" He was one of the only ones that lived in a house without a gate, you know? so i went to the door and knocked and this man answered, not Kirk Douglas, and i said, "I want to show Mr. Douglas my drawings." and the man tried to shut the door on me but i pushed back, you know, on the other side and he was getting very pissed off! Then, a Porsche.. a Porsche, you know the car? pulled up and Kirk Douglas came out. He said, "Hey, how's it going?" I was in such shock that I could not speak! I just stood there holding my drawings, you know, staring at him and he went inside and that was it! I never talked to him!

2 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jenny said...

He should have tried David Hasselhoff.

Duh!